Like Seal Coating, regular and rapid filling and sealing of cracks will extend the life of your asphalt. On average, 60-75% of all cracks turn into potholes within 3 years of forming if left untreated. One pothole repair can cost as much as one years’ worth of crack sealing in your entire parking lot!
WATER IS THE ENEMY
One of the most serious problems with aging pavement is cracking. As pavement ages, it shrinks, hardens, and becomes more brittle. Cracks form as a result of thermal expansion, aging, base degradation, and reflection of cracks from underlying layers
WHY SHOULD YOU SEAL CRACKS?
Cracks should be sealed at least once a year. The key is Early and Often! Using the proper techniques and materials will yield appreciable benefits over time
The most important aspect of the procedure is the preparation of the crack for treatment.
- Clean and dry the cracks!
- Remove weeds.
- Routers are good for removing loose materials and prepping cracks for long term fix. If properly routed a crack repair will last several years longer than without.
- Heat Lance (hot compressed air) Personal favorite, it cleans, dries and etches the crack.
- Your contractor should always strive to seal your cracks, not just fil them. A properly sealed crack will have a thin continuous ribbon on either side of the crack, effectively sealing out any chance of water infiltration.
The world of asphalt maintenance and crack repair has multiple options for repairs, many of them are variants of the below list.
- Rubberized Hot applied is the most common crack sealant. There are numerous variants in this category but all have same basic principles.
- Cold pourable crack filler is not the best choice but can be quick and easy to apply in a pinch.
- GAP Mastic – For wider cracks, has aggregate, newer technology has a lot of promise.
- Specialty Fabrics – These work great when doing overlays (help reduce reflective cracking) and for larger hard to control cracks. They are a bit more intense work wise but have their place.
Avoid any contractor who tells you Hot Poured Tar is adequate! This method, while it looks good for a little while is not a long term solution, it also runs the high risk of tracking, black tar spots on a building floor is not something you want!
On average, 60-75% of all cracks turn into potholes within 3 years of forming, with the odds higher if you are in a heavy snow and ice area.
Don’t Crack Under the Pressure of Parking Lot Management!
Water is great for your grass and landscape. It is critical for your own personal health! But water is the enemy when it comes to your roads and...